Ever since I can remember I’ve been a reader. I’ll read just about anything from just about anywhere. Novels, Poems, Flyers, Grocery Lists, Notes, Thoughts, whatever. I’ve always found an innate pleasure in deriving meaning from arbitrary squiggles.
The weird thing about my relationship with reading is I find it’s much like the relationships we make with other people — we try on story after story but the ones that truly take our breath away sneak up out of nowhere.
If you’re looking for a particular story to take your breath away I reccommend one of the following. It’s taken at least 5 years to establish the following list, which means these stories are nothing to fuck with. They will take hold of something deep inside of you, wrap around it and much like the Sequoia in John Muir National Park that’s grown around the car and changed it forever, these stories will leave breadcrumbs in your life.
- (Most Recently) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Borderlands/La Frontera by Gloria Anzaldúa
- The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- Slingshots, A Hip-Hop Poetica by Kevin Coval