There are four parts to this assignment:
1.1 GOOD DESIGN (X) – 1 point
Create a blog post for the assignment on the Week #1 page titled Question 1.1 and post:
- A photograph of the artifact (you can take the photo or you can use one from the web or elsewhere).
- A short (fewer than 100 words) explanation of why you love it.
I love this object because the author thought carefully about the user experience of her book before publishing it. This shows in the physical feel of the book — it feels satiny, like I want to continue to touch it, and it’s heavy so it re-enforces the knowledge within it. It is also laid out to be visually stimulating with the photos and use of color. The table of contents as you move through the book is told graphically as to encourage the reader to continue working through it.
1.2 FIND THE GAP (P) – 1 point
Create a blog post for the assignment on the Week #1 page titled Question 1.2:
- Your list of 10 gaps.
- An effective portfolio site for my professional career (I’m going from iWeb to WordPress and I don’t know enough design to make it do what I want it to)*
- An in-house notifier if I’m going to miss the morning bus
- A tracking device for a loved one on a long car trip
- A tracking device for my cat to be sure he doesn’t get out of the apartment
- Furniture repellant for said cat, as I used to have nice things and now I don’t
- A better nozzle on caulk so it doesn’t dry out
- A more comfortable way to sit on the floor without sitting on a cushion
- A slim wallet to take on long runs for those impromptu coffee dates with friends
- A way to tell if a text message/phone call is extremely important vs. normal (sometimes I just don’t feel like looking at my phone)
- A trip planning service that will route travel, calculate cost based on how I want to stay, what to do, what I can’t miss and how much money I need to save to make it happen (without obnoxious advertising)
- Put a star next to the one you will use for your project.
- Create a page on your site called “My Gap” and place the chosen gap there.
- A very short (fewer than 100 words) explanation of why the gap you have selected meets the course project criteria.
The portfolio site meets the criteria of the class because it closes a gap I currently have while addressing a bigger issue for a lot of people (I have ideas, I don’t know how to execute them without a skill set so I need a simpler solution).
1.3 VISUAL EXPRESSION I: THE BASICS (V) – 1 point
Create a blog post for the assignment on the Week #1 page titled Question 1.3 with a sketch of a chair that:
1.4 DESIGN FOR YOU (P) – 2 points
Create a blog post for the assignment on the Week #1 page titled Question 1.4 with:
- Your visual expression of the design (if you have not done so already, please see the notes on digital capture of sketches, and on rules for sketching under Course Information).
- A photograph of your prototype (or other digital representation if your prototype is not an object); if you have not done so already, please see the notes on student photography under Course Information.